Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Crazy Time


'Tis the season for hurried, slippery mornings and knuckle-dragging walks home in the dark. The month of December (if you work retail especially) goes by at face-melting speed. I've made my lists and checked them about fifty times. My planner is on its last legs already--it's busting at the seams and, to a foreign eye, full of gibberish. My arms ache from carrying additional daily errands and when my mouth touches the lunch I pulled out two hours earlier it's actually pure bliss.

But even with all the chicken-with-its-head-cut-off visuals and hermit-like behaviour on my downtime, I swear there are good bits in-between.

We may hate the early darkness, but it does make for more time to enjoy the twinkling lights and snow that sparkles. The bitter cold seeps into your bones, but the feeling of burning cheeks crossing a warm threshold can't be beat--warm meals, good wine, classic Christmas movies, and games around the table. Yes, there is nothing more embarrassing than a public face plant, but it happens to almost everyone at least once during winter and it's nothing a hot toddy doesn't fix (that's what I tell myself anyway).

The time I savour most is reading in bed, and now that I'm running on empty there is nothing I love more than a "non-thinker," something a little fantastical that can take me away to a place that is not behind a till. Old favourites like Harry Potter, The Hobbit, and The Phantom Tollbooth and new ones like Insurgent by Veronica Roth and Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (one of my favourite Y.A. releases of the year) are hitting the spot before my head hits the pillow.
These small moments in a day that feels like ten hours instead of twenty-four not only make me grateful for my friends, co-workers, family, and alone time, but fill the tank ever so slightly so I can do it all again the next day.

- Ashley



No comments:

Post a Comment